Are you looking to change your lifestyle for the betterment? Are you interest in losing your weight? Or have a healthy lifestyle and be a more active person. To be healthy you have to focus on many areas. It includes your diet, genetics, exercise routine and your lifestyle selections. Make small changes to them to live healthy.
Prepare for a Healthy Lifestyle
They will help you to achieve your desired healthy lifestyle. You can also get an idea about what need to be start and what is to be stop to reach your objective.
- Visit your physician. Discuss your health condition with them and get any recommendations to have a healthier life.
- Visit your dentist. It is recommended to go twice a year.
- Visit any other doctors you may need.
2Take few measurements.
You can have some idea of your health without consulting a doctor by measuring your weight and overall size.
Measure your weight.
Compare it with national standards for ideal body weight. Check whether you’re close to a healthy weight or should consider weight loss.
Measure your waist circumference.
If you are having a large waist, it means that you have a high amount of visceral fat. It could be dangerous to your health. For men, they should have a waist circumference which is less than 40″ and for women, it should be less than 35″.
Calculate your BMI with an online calculator.
It is based on your weight and height
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or great
3Start a journal
Keeping a journal in which you can write goals, track your goals, take notes and even keep a food journal. Do the following.
- Take notes about your goals and how you are going to live healthier.
- Take notes on any information you get from your doctors
- Track you weight, BMI and waist circumference.
- Take notes regarding your food selections
4Build a support group
They will support you to have your mental and emotional well being and healthy lifestyle.
Collaborate with your family members, friends or co-workers to achieve certain goals. They might be want to exercise more, lose weight or having a healthier diet..
Diet Selections For a Healthy Lifestyle
5Write up a meal plan.
Changing your diet plan is crucial to have a healthier life. Write it down. It will give you a guideline on how you needed to eat during the week.
- A meal plan gives you a blueprint of each meal, snack and beverage throughout the week.
- It allows you to look and plan each of your selections. Also you feel confident on what you are eating each day will support you to have a healthier life.
- To have your meal plan do the following,
- Take a pen and paper.
- Write down days of the week.
- Write down all your meals, snacks and drinks for each day.
- This will also helps you have a well organized grocery list.
Pay more attention and focus on how you eat. It will support you to enjoy your eating and have a healthy lifestyle.
- Generally, people who eat mindfully take less amount of food. It gives you more satisfaction from your meals and gives an easier time of losing weight.
- To eat mindfully do the followings,
- Turn off all electronic devices (cell phone, TV etc.)
- Also remove any other distractions.
- Totally focus on your meal.
- When focusing pay attention for the these things (How your food looks. The texture and temperature of it and how it taste.
- Concentrate on each and every bite.
- Take around 20 to 30 minutes to have your meal. Enjoy from your meal.
7Maintain a balanced diet.
- To have a healthy diet, take a well-balanced diet. If you do so you’ll be able to consume all the required nutrients for your body needs. You are less likely to have nutrient deficiencies. It will also reduce other side effects of poor quality diet.
- A well-balanced diet should include all five food groups each day.
- Dairy products.
- Fruit and vegetables.
- Fats and sugars.
- It should consist of a wide variety of food. If you eat the same few foods each day, it will limit your ability to gain a wide variety of nutrients.
8Pay attention to portion sizes.
The amount of calories you should consume in a day depends on your age. If you are an active average sized man, you should take around 2,200 – 2,800 calories per day. If you are an active woman, then it ranges from 1,800 – 2,200 calories per day. To consume them daily, focus on the followings,
- 1.5- 2.5 cups of fruit
- 2.5 – 3.5 cups of vegetables
- Take 3 cups of nonfat or low-fat dairy foods
- Out of 6-10 oz of grain, take 1/2 from whole grains
- Get 5-7 oz of protein (meat, seafood and beans)
- No more than 5-8 teaspoons of oils. (plants, fish, and nuts)
- 170-400 calories from added sugars and solid fats.
9Drink more water.
Focus to drink more water daily which is essential to a healthier life.
- If you are dehydrated, you’ll come across various types of side effects. They will affects to your health and also how you are feeling as well.
- You may have fatigue, chronic headaches and afternoon fogginess.
- Try to take around 8 – 13 glasses of water each day. This may vary depends on your age, gender and your activity level.
- If you are consuming excessive amount of alcohol, it will lead to weight gain or weight stall. It will negatively affect to your overall health.
- As per the health professionals, if you are a woman, you should limit to no more than one alcoholic beverage per day and for men it should be no more than two alcoholic beverages.
- If you are desire to lose weight and to be slimmer, limit these to even further than the recommendations.
- Alcohol does not provide nutrition. It provides only calories.
- One serving of alcohol means the following
- 4-oz of wine
- 2-oz of liquor
- 12-oz beer
- If you are taking a limited diet, you might go for a supplement to get enough nutrients for your body. Consult a doctor and figure out whether you need to take supplements of not. If so what types of supplements you needed to have?
- Consulting a doctor prior to taking supplements is a must because of the followings,
- They may interact negatively with other medicines which you are currently taking.
- In case of Vitamin A, D, E, and K, they are fat soluble. That means if you take too much of them it will stay in the body which is very dangerous. You won’t be able to pee the excess. Therefore do not exceed the recommendations given by doctors.
- You must understand that the vitamins are there only as a backup. Always try to get your required nutrition from your foods as much as possible.
12Boost your serotonin levels naturally.
- Serotonin (“the happiness hormone”) regulate your appetite, sleep, mood and memory.. The serotonin levels in your brain can be increased by eating vegetables and seeds with a high tryptophan to protein ratio.
- Take seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and butternut squash seeds
- However Tryptophan-rich animal products like milk cheese and chicken will not increase the serotonin levels in your brain. They will have an adverse effect.
Fitting in Physical Activity for a Healthy Lifestyle
13Make exercise fun.
To have a healthier lifestyle physical activity is an important component
- Find out an enjoyable exercise routing you like to continue. It will help to support your emotional and mental health.
- Find exercises you love: i.e. Yoga, Zumba, walking, cycling etc.
- Compose a workout mix that you are only listing when you are working out.
- Peruse workout materials from books, DVDs and internet.
- Find out a friend to workout with. Teach your favorite exercises to each other. When you are having a lazy spell, motivate each other.
- Aim for 150 – 300 minutes of cardiovascular activity exercises each week.
- Cardiovascular activity exercises give you variety of health benefits. It includes better sleep, improved mood, weight control, improved blood pressure, glucose control and decreased risk of chronic diseases.
14Include strength training.
- Try to include adequate strength training. This gives you additional health benefits outsides the ones that you gained from cardiovascular activity exercises
- Strength training helps to build lean muscle mass. It reduces your risk of osteoporosis.
- For a week, try to include 1-3 days for strength training. Limit a session to around 20 minutes. Include exercises which include all your major muscle groups.
- If you are a beginner, try to skip free weights and use machines at the gym. Get proper advice from the trainer.